Friday, April 06, 2012

Pearl Harbor

We had the opportunity to go out to Pearl Harbor, which was really great. They have an audio tour that I highly recommend. It was really cool to see everything first hand.
Memorial statue--The Tree of Life
The USS Arizona Memorial
The USS Missouri
This is out on the Arizona Memorial. These are the stacks of the ship that are still above water.
These are the names of those who died on the ship below.
This is a model of what the Arizona looks like now underwater. After the ship was hit and sunk the naval men went down and took off all the gun turrets and scraps of metal they could use to rebuild the other ships that weren't completely sunk. I can't believe how resourceful they were, especially considering the tragedy.
This is the size of the anchor. It is huge and I guess I never realized it until seeing it in person.
These are some other replicas of military pieces, the size still blows me away.

No comments: